Sunday, October 2, 2011

Quinoa Pancakes



Quinoa. This trendy grain is getting a lot of attention these days and for good cause. It’s a complete protein, it contains all 9 essential amino acids and it’s loaded with magnesium. It’s a wonderful food source for the vegan at heart and it can also satisfy the meat lovers out there. Knowing how good for me this grain is, I’ve been making an effort to add it into more of my meals.

I have to thank Martha Stewart for this recipe. I am a lover of all things Martha and I receive her Everyday Food magazine. It never fails to inspire with its breathtaking photos and mouth water recipes. I’m always blown away at what her team accomplishes.

But I digress… in the November 2010 edition I came across a recipe for Quinoa Pancakes. Feeling excited about a new way to use this grain I came up with a gluten & dairy-free version for myself. Part of the genius of this recipe is using left-over quinoa (if you have any in your fridge) and adding a few tablespoons of maple syrup into the batter. The resulting cakes have a springy texture with a sweet flavor that can be eaten alone (because they are that darn good) or dolled up with your favorite toppings.

The recipe below is simple and straightforward but there are endless possibilities here! Try changing up the spices and adding in lemon zest, nutmeg or even pumpkin purée. Quick, delicious and nutritious, could you ask for anything more?


Makes about 12 pancakes
start to finish: 20 minutes
adapted from: Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine, November 2010 edition
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • ¾ cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free All Purpose Baking Flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp coarse salt
  • 2 extra large eggs
  • ¼ cup coconut milk
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp oil, plus more for the skillet (I use avocado or coconut)
  • ¼ tsp freshly grated ginger

In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl whisk together eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, oil and ginger until smooth. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.

Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with oil and heat over medium. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into the skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, about 1 to 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more oil and remaining batter.

Serve with more maple syrup, fresh fruit, preserves or powder sugar.

note: These can be made ahead of time: Freeze cakes between sheets of waxed paper in zip-lock bags, for up to 1 month. Reheat in the toaster.

5 comments:

  1. Reading your blog makes me hungry. I want some pancakes! Upside down dinner this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been eating them at all hours since Laura brought me a stack. Super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm causing your stomach to rumble! I can whip up a batch anytime. And as Jon confirms, these are good all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to use Quinoa! These look delicious and I am anxious to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy, you will love these. They so good and perfectly healthy!

    ReplyDelete