Sunday, October 9, 2011

Vegan Pumpkin Mousse or Pie Filling


Fall is “officially” here. The Maple Trees are in full color and apples, pumpkins and squash are on glorious display. I’ve mentioned it before but I’ll say it again, fall is my most favorite season. All sorts of pies and sweet delights are given center stage as the weather starts to cool down.

Over the years I’ve made my fair share of pumpkin desserts: pumpkin pie, pumpkin mousse, pumpkin cookies and pumpkin whip-cream, just to name a few. The recipe I’m sharing today is one of my easy, go-to desserts. It’s a Pumpkin mousse that doubles as a pie filling. No baking required, just a bit of blending and then some chilling. It’s the perfect dessert for the days when you only have about 10 minutes to spare, plus its high in protein and fiber and tastes amazing.

I hope you enjoy!


Vegan Pumpkin Mousse or Pie Filling
by Laura Friendly


Serves: 6 to 8
start to finish: 10 minutes (not including refrigeration)
  • 2 cups cooked pumpkin (fresh or canned)
  • 1 12 oz package of extra firm tofu, drained
  • ½ cup maple syrup
  • ¼ cup coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • dash of sea salt
Combine all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Fill individual dessert cups and chill until firm. (If you are using this as a pie filling, pour the mousse into a pre-baked pie crust and chill until firm).

note: If you would like this to be lighter and more whip-cream like, use soft tofu in place of the extra firm.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you! I will check out your site. Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can be used in lieu of tofu? Have to avoid soy.
    Thx,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made without soy… Let me think on that one. Is there anything else you can't have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura, I just found your blog. This sounds really good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. forget the pie crust and hand me a spoon, i'm in!

    ReplyDelete