Monday, May 30, 2011

Refrigerator Slaw



After our recent cold spell the 80 degree weather couldn't feel more perfect. It finally feels like summer is making its way to Grand Rapids. With the rising temperature I always begin to crave my Great Aunt Ruby’s Refrigerator Slaw. It’s a very easy dish that can be made many ways, but I always like to go back to her simple recipe.

As a child my sister and I would spend part of our summer vacations visiting my Aunt in Kentucky. She usually made simple southern food that always tasted amazing. When the weather started to warm up she would begin to make batches of her Refrigerator Slaw and keep them in mason jars. I really can’t remember one meal when she didn’t pull out an ice-cold, freshly made jar.

I personally love to eat this as a light snack. But it’s a wonderful side for BBQ, hamburgers or brats. I hope you enjoy.

start to finish: 20 minutes
  • 2 to 3 large bell peppers, diced (any color you like)
  • 1 large white onion, diced
  • 1 large hot house cucumber, diced
  • 2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup agave nectar
  • 2 tbsp fresh dill
  • salt and pepper to taste

Combine bell peppers, onion and cucumber in a large bowl and mix well.

In a separate bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, water, agave, dill, salt and pepper.

Pour the liquid over the mixed vegetables and stir. Cover and allow to sit overnight in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.

If you like the idea of using mason jars:
Divide the mixed vegetable's between the jars, then pour the liquid over the vegetables, dividing evenly. Seal and refrigerate overnight, occasionally stirring by rocking the jar from top to bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment