Friday, June 15, 2012

Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips



Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips, is one of my first Laura Friendly desserts. New to the gluten-free world, I was struggling for sweet treats to make at home. As I was noodling around my kitchen, I came to my corn tortillas and wondered if these could be transformed into a dessert? Maybe… with a little bit of cinnamon and sugar… I could make something like Cinnamon and Sugar toast! But what goes with corn tortillas? Salsa. Perhaps, a sweet and spicy fruit salsa would be a good match!

This Fruit Salsa is so delicious, you really could eat this by itself (and I do). I think it tastes even better as the flavors mingle in the refrigerator for a day. The Cinnamon Chips are also delicious but are best served right away. I hope you enjoy!


Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips
by Laura Friendly
start to finish: 30 minutes
serves: 4

Fruit Salsa

  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 cup strawberries, stems removed and diced
  • 1 cup plums, pits removed and diced
  • 1 cup nectarines, pits removed and diced
  • 1 cup cherries, pits removed, sliced in half
  • 2 tbsp honey (or agave nectar to make vegan)
  • 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno, optional
  • 1 tbsp minced cilantro, optional

In a medium size bowl, combine blueberries, strawberries, plums, nectarines, cherries, honey, lime, jalapeno and cilantro. Mix together well.

Cover and refrigerate while making the Cinnamon Chips.

Cinnamon Chips

  • 10 to 12 corn tortillas
  • ⅓ cup coconut palm sugar (or regular sugar)
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp salt
  • olive oil

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.

Brush tortillas with olive oil and cut into 8 wedges. Arrange tortilla wedges, in a single layer, on the baking sheet. Combine sugar, cinnamon and salt, sprinkle mixture over tortillas.

Bake in the center of the oven until chips are lightly brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Serve immediately with Fruit Salsa. 



Find more Laura Friendly on HelloGiggles!




2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I rave about the fruit salad you posted on Hello Giggles on my friend's cooking blog. Seriously, this salad has changed me life, and I'm constantly sending the Hello Giggles link to people.

    http://thoughtsforasunshineymorning.blogspot.com/2012/06/guest-blog-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so glad you are enjoying it. It's such a perfect treat for the summer. :)

      Delete