Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Easy Marinara Sauce



I’m a lover of tomatoes. Fresh, sauteed, roasted, blended, juiced, it doesn’t matter, I will eat them any way. So creating my own Marinara seemed like the obvious next step… right? But actually, that’s not what inspired this delicious recipe. It started out as a dare (or challenge) from my brother-in-law.

I enjoy making spaghetti and most of the time I use pre-made sauce. I know, scandalous. On one particular dinner occasion, my brother-in-law took great pleasure in teasing me; how dare I use spaghetti sauce from a jar? (FYI: Classico’s gluten-free Marinara, rocks). I decided it was time to work on a simple, homemade Marinara. And this delight was born.

Both, light and fresh, this Marinara if full of flavor. I especially love the brightness that the fresh lemon brings. Incredibly easy, fast and tasty, I hope you enjoy!


Easy Marinara Sauce (vegan)
by Laura Friendly
start to finish: 20 minutes
makes: about 4 cups

  • 2 14oz. cans roasted tomatoes (or you can roast your own tomatoes)
  • 10 cloves roasted garlic (more or less to taste — if using fresh garlic, use 1 to 2 cloves)
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 tbsp red wine (one that tastes good)
  • 4 tbsp lemon juice
  • zest of 1 lemon, optional
  • 1 to 2 tsp of fresh rosemary or basil or thyme (or a blend of all three)
  • ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper to taste

In a food processor, or blender, combine tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, red wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, herbs and red pepper flakes. Blend together well. Season with salt and pepper.

Transfer mixture to medium size saucepan and heat over medium heat, bringing to a gentle simmer, for about 15 minutes.

Toss with gluten-free pasta and enjoy!


You can also see this recipe on HelloGiggles!


No comments:

Post a Comment